Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Lost Causes and the Girls Who Love Them

March 2, 1994
Dear Bethy,
Sooo much has happened!
1, On Monday I made up with Piper. She's really nice... when we're alone. She's a bitch in a  crowd though. I'm not going to put her on my friend list, even though she's my friend. 

2, Well, first Diana asked Patrick if he liked me. He said something like this: "Like? Well... I don't know if I LIKE her," and just crap like that. Then she and Georgia and Corrine asked Patrick if he was going to ask me out. He said "Not now." Then Georgia and Corrine asked him what he would say if I asked him out. (which I would never do). He said, "I'd say no because I'm not ready to go out." I got soooo mad. 
Then today Mrs.Bitch said, "Boys, chose a girl to trade papers with." Diana told me that Patrick had gotten up and was about three feet away from me, then turned around and said "I can't do this". It's not exactly what I hoped... but it's a start. 

3. Piper's birthday party is Friday. It's going to be an indoor beach party. She has a hot tub and its a sleepover. I just cannot wait! 

Love,
Corey

I don't know what it is that girls love so much about lost causes, but I certainly started early with that shit. Poor Patrick. I was a lot to handle. And I was not giving up. I have no idea what drew me so strongly to this guy, because (spoiler alert) I do NOT move on from this crush until I am in 7th grade. SEVENTH GRADE. 

As for him getting up, almost handing me his math paper and then mumbling "I can't do this"?? I find this one hard to believe. Either I have completely exaggerated this in my own journal, or Diana made this up to make me happy. I'd like to think it's the latter, but I am fairly certain it is the former. I am getting to know ten year old Corey pretty well, and that just seems like something she'd do. 

Piper always had the best birthday parties. One year we had to dress up as TV characters. Everyone picked cool ones, except me. I was Judy Jetson. It was not a wise choice. Diana, (who I think was actually like, one of the Bundy's or something) never really let me live it down. I recall a cardboard triangle around my neck and a lot of pink. 

As for the hot tub beach party with the bunch of ten and eleven year old girls... I can only imagine the shit storm that came from that night. 

1 comment:

  1. I feel as though there's as much of a chance I exaggerated that story as you did. And "one of the Bundys??" I'm offended. I was The Nanny from The Nanny. ("Oh, Mr. Sheffield!") It was a wild hit, lest you forget. I don't think Judy was as bad as you remember. But my god, those parties were fun. Remember the ghost stories? They were epic.

    ReplyDelete