Monday, June 29, 2009

Wayne's World and its Effect on Humanity

January 3,1994
Dear Bethany,
Hi! Guess what? You know how I'm only allowed to watch G and PG movies? Well Piper always used to too. But Piper saw Waynes World AND Mrs. Doubtfire-- both rated at LEAST PG13!! I can't believe it! I feel so alone! I'm probably the only person in the school who hasn't seen Wayne's World. 
You know what I was thinking? Whoever is reading this journal has thought I was fairly mature- up to this point. 
Love
Corey

I actually remember this very conundrum well. EVERYONE was talking about Wayne's World, all the time. Every joke, ever snide comment, every insult, every punch line-- they were all quotes from Wayne's World. I pretended I had seen it. Which actually doesn't work very well at all, because quotes from that movie make zero sense out of context, so I couldn't ever guess what was being said. 
And, I mean, not being able to see Mrs. Doubtfire?? Come on now. Strangely, I was allowed to watch Pretty Woman as long as I left the room during the piano scene. I don't know what that means about my family, but I won't dwell on the double standard. 

Oh, and I'm pretty sure NO ONE reading this thinks I was "fairly mature". Unless we are very liberal with the meaning of the word mature. 

No comments:

Post a Comment